Learn about the procurement dispute management and complaint processes

There are a number of dispute resolution bodies available to help you resolve your issues with a procurement. Learn more about the roles of each of the procurement bodies and when you can use them.


In all cases, your first step must be to attempt to resolve the dispute through the contracting authority for your procurement.

On this page

Contracting authority for the procurement

The contracting authority identified in the tender notice is responsible for the procurement and can explain the methods for addressing contract disputes in that department or agency.

The contact information for the contracting authority should appear on the front page of your contract document. Contact them to discuss your concern, or use the Government Electronic Directory Services (GEDS) to find the contracting authority’s supervisor.

When to use

This should always be your first step. Complaints can be raised during or at any point after the bid solicitation stage. If your dispute can not be resolved through the contracting authority, take a look at the other options below.

Business Dispute Management Program

The Business Dispute Management Program provides conflict prevention and alternative dispute resolution services to anyone experiencing difficulties with a contract where Public Works and Government Services Canada is the contracting authority. The program can help contractors, other government departments and Public Works and Government Services Canada employees.

When to use

Contact the Business Dispute Management Program in any of the following cases:

Dispute resolution resources

Consult the dispute resolution resources to help you manage a conflict, prepare for a discussion and better understand alternative dispute resolution.

Office of the Procurement Ombudsman

The Office of the Procurement Ombudsman reviews:

Note: The Office of the Procurement Ombudsman encourages suppliers to come forward with procurement issues that may be widespread and systemic in nature.

When to use

Contact the Office of the Procurement Ombudsman only:

Complaints must be submitted to the Office of the Procurement Ombudsman within 30 working days from the time the supplier becomes aware of the issue.

Canadian International Trade Tribunal 

The Canadian International Trade Tribunal reviews complaints concerning federal government procurement covered by trade agreements.

When to use

Contact the Canadian International Trade Tribunal only:

Competition Bureau 

The Competition Bureau is an independent law enforcement agency that ensures that Canadian businesses and consumers prosper in a competitive and innovative marketplace.

When to use

Contact the Competition Bureau only:

Get more help with procurement

Call the national Infoline at 1-800-811-1148 to get quick help to sell to the Government of Canada.

Visit our contacts for procurement page to connect with the right people to provide you with answers to your questions, information  about free seminars, and support for general procurement questions

Date modified: