On June 3, 2010, the Government of Canada announced Canada's National Shipbuilding Procurement Strategy. Under the strategy,
- For large ship construction, Canada will establish a strategic relationship with two Canadian shipyards, selected through an open and fair national competition, and designate them as sources of supply, one for combat vessels and the other for non-combat vessels.
- For smaller ship construction, Canada will set aside the individual projects for competitive procurements amongst Canadian shipyards other than the shipyards selected to build the large ships and their affiliated companies.
- For ship repair, refit and maintenance, these requirements will be competed through publicly announced request for proposals
On October 19, 2011, the National Shipbuilding Procurement Strategy Secretariat announced the ARCHIVED - Results of a Request for Proposals to build large vessels for Canada.
The implementation of the National Shipbuilding Procurement Strategy
The NSPS is being implemented in 5 phases:
- Developing the Strategy: completed and announced in June 2010.
- Selecting the shipyards: completed on October 19, 2011.
- Establishing the relationship with the shipyards: commenced with the signing of overarching Umbrella Agreements with the shipyards in February 2012, and will continue through various shipyard interactions with NSPS governance committees and project teams.
- Preparing the yards and finalizing the designs – currently underway.
- Constructing the ships.
- Results of pre-qualification process for Canadian Surface Combatant [November 16, 2015]
- Harper Government Announces Two High-Value Contracts Under NSPS [July 10, 2015]
Harper Government Awards Contract for Search and Rescue Lifeboats [July 9, 2015]
- Harper Government Marks Shipbuilding Milestone [June 18, 2015]
- AOPS Test Production Module: Cutting of Steel — Speaking Notes [June 18, 2015]
- National Shipbuilding Procurement Strategy Technical Briefing on Offshore Fisheries Science Vessel [June 12, 2015]
- NSPS Technical Briefing on Canadian Surface Combatant - Speaking Notes [May 1, 2015 ]
- Harper Government Awards Contract to Extend Life of Coast Guard Vessel Leonard J. Cowley [February 18, 2015]
- Harper Government Awards Shipbuilding Contract That Supports Jobs Across Canada [January 23, 2015]
- National Shipbuilding Procurement Strategy Technical Briefing [January 16, 2015]
Companies interested in becoming a supplier can register online at:
For media questions, please call Public Works and Government Services Canada (PWGSC) Media Relations Office at 819-956-2315