Business Case Introduction - « Full » version
A Business Case document is typically a presentation or a proposal to an authority by an organization seeking funding, approval, or both for an activity, initiative, or project. The Business Case links investments with the strategic outcomes of the organization.
The NPMS Business Case template is based on the version that Treasury Board produced in consultation with multiple departments and agencies for use in the Government of Canada (GC).
The five core sections of the template are as follows:
- Business needs and desired outcomes
- Preliminary options analysis
- Viable options
- Justification and recommendation
- Managing the investment
Use of this common template ensures that:
- a full range of solution options are identified and analyzed; and
- the recommended option is justified based on a set of consistent criteria that link the proposal to the strategic business needs and desired outcomes of the organization.
The final section of the document ensures that a high-level plan for managing the asset is integrated into the business case from the outset.
This document is approved at the Preliminary Project Plan Approval (PPA) control point.
- Date modified: