Proposed land transfer to The Ottawa Hospital
Updated: June 15, 2017
On December 2, 2016, the Government of Canada announced the proposed transfer of the former Sir John Carling (SJC) site to The Ottawa Hospital.
Proposed boundaries of the land available for transfer
Public Services and Procurement Canada (PSPC) is leading federal efforts to make the lands of the former SJC site available for the new Civic Campus. PSPC is liaising with all key stakeholders, including Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC), the National Capital Commission (NCC), the City of Ottawa, and The Ottawa Hospital. Currently, the lands are owned by PSPC, AAFC and the NCC.
PSPC is currently reviewing a number of options to manage the contamination found at the former location of the Sir John Carling building and the annex. Estimated costs of the remediation measures include:
- Removal of soil/rubble fill within the building footprint: $8.3 to $8.6M
- Excavation and off-site disposal of shallow impacted contaminated fill outside of the building footprint: cost to be determined
- Treatment, and monitoring of impacted groundwater: $2.8M
Discussions are also underway with The Ottawa Hospital regarding any other costs related to environmental investigation and remediation that would normally be associated with the transfer of federal land.
PSPC is working closely with federal land owners to complete the necessary surveys and studies required to finalize the land assembly. This information will support necessary approvals for the proposed transfer of the property in support of The Ottawa Hospital Project.
PSPC is currently in the process of completing due diligence necessary for all real estate transactions while continuing to advance discussions on the proposed land transfer with The Ottawa Hospital and federal land owners.
PSPC is targeting an early 2018 transfer date.
- Statement from Minister of Public Services and Procurement Judy M. Foote on land transfer to The Ottawa Hospital
- The Ottawa Hospital Site Review
- NCC Federal Site Review for the New Civic Campus of The Ottawa Hospital (PDF, 32 Mb)
- Date modified: