The Laura Secord Building
St. Catharines, Ontario, October 29, 2012 – The building located at 32 Church Street in St. Catharines, Ontario, has been named the Laura Secord Building in commemoration of the 200th anniversary of the War of 1812.
This two-storey limestone building was constructed in 1956 and is architecturally typical of federal buildings of the day. In 2005, the building underwent significant renovations to accommodate its current tenant, the Canada Revenue Agency.
The building is located close to several historical battlefields in the Niagara region related to the War of 1812, such as the Battle of Beaver Dams and the Battle of Queenston Heights. This is why the building was selected to commemorate War of 1812 hero Laura Secord.
The legacy of Laura Secord
On June 21, 1813, Laura overheard that the Americans intended to surprise the British outpost and capture the officer in charge, Lieutenant James FitzGibbon. With her husband having been wounded in battle, Laura resolved to take the message to the British herself. Fearing that she would encounter American guards, she took a route through fields and forests, making her journey challenging and physically exhausting. She arrived unexpectedly on a First Nations' encampment, explained her mission, and the chief took her to FitzGibbon. With this warning, FitzGibbon was able to prepare an offensive strategy that would lead them to victory.
For more information on the Battle of Beaver Dams or on Laura Secord, visit 1812.gc.ca.
- Date modified: