About the Canada Post Review
The Government of Canada promised to provide Canadians with quality postal service at a reasonable price. To achieve this, the Honourable Judy M. Foote, Minister of Public Services and Procurement, announced the launch of an independent review of Canada Post services.
There have been previous reviews of Canada Post, but this time, Canadians from coast to coast to coast are being engaged in a more informed manner. Citizens get to have a direct say about the services they value and need. The goal of the review is to ensure that Canada Post remains on a self-sustaining footing for the future.
Frequently asked questions about the Canada Post Review
Why is the Government of Canada undertaking this review
- The Government of Canada is committed to ensuring that Canadians receive quality service from Canada Post at a reasonable price
- This review supports a thorough and informed public discussion so that Canadians have a direct say about the services they want and value
- This commitment is also a key priority of the Minister’s mandate
What is the scope of the review
- The review is being carried out in two phases. It began May 2016 and is expected to be completed in December
- During the first phase, an independent four-member task force undertook an analysis of Canada Post’s services and current financial situation, conducted public opinion research, met with key stakeholders, and examined international best practices for postal delivery
- The task force produced a discussion paper that summarizes facts and presents options for Canada Post services in this country
- During the second phase of the review, the House of Commons Standing Committee on Government Operations and Estimates consulted Canadians from coast to coast to coast through public hearings and an online survey to gather their views and needs on postal services. The information presented in the task force’s discussion paper provided a starting point for the consultations. The paper is one of many sources that will be used to shape the future of Canada Post
- In December, the Committee tabled its report: The Way Forward for Canada Post, which included recommendations to the Government on the future of Canada Post
- The Government tabled its response to the Committee’s report on April 12, 2017 and is considering its recommendations.
- The future direction of Canada Post will be announced in 2017.
How will Canadians be engaged and informed during the review
- This review supports a thorough and informed public discussion so that Canadians have a say about the services they need and value
- During the first phase, public input was sought through a variety of channels including email, mail and social media
- During the second phase, the House of Commons Standing Committee on Government Operations and Estimates consulted Canadians from coast to coast to coast
What is happening to Canada Post services during the review
- Canada Post services continue to operate as usual while the Review is ongoing. As announced by Canada Post in October 2015, Canadians who are currently receiving door-to-door mail will continue to receive that service during the review
All about the Canada Post Review
- Date modified: