In April 2008, the Grande Allée Armoury in Québec was damaged by fire. Despite the damage it sustained, the building retains some of its architectural integrity and most of the features that make it an exceptional example of the Château style.
Built in 1887 and expanded in 1913, the Armoury has always been a prominent feature of the Quebec City landscape. It was designed by Quebec architect Eugène-Étienne Taché who is known for his designs for the Quebec National Assembly building and the former Quebec City courthouse.
Its influence on a number of subsequent major Canadian buildings' style led to the Armoury being designated a "national historic site of Canada" on the recommendation of the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada, which also includes the parade ground (Place Georges-V) located between the building and Grande Allée to the north. The building was also "Classified" on the recommendation of the Federal Heritage Building Review Office, meaning that it obtained the highest h eritage designation that can be granted to a federal building by the Minister of the Environment.
The Armoury is owned by the federal government, more specifically by the Department of National Defence (DND). It is a landmark in the memory of Canadians, valued for its associations with the Voltigeurs - the oldest French-Canadian regiment still in existence - and the Royal Rifles of Canada.