How to use a fillable portable document format form
- Entering data and moving within a fillable portable document format (PDF) form
- Changing entered data
- Check boxes
- Fields with a limited number of characters
- Specific fields
- Printing completed forms
- Submitting completed forms
Entering data and moving within a fillable portable document format form
- All fields where you can enter or select information are highlighted.
- To move from one field to the next, press the "Tab" key. You can also do that by clicking your mouse on the field
- Where a drop menu is provided, place the cursor on the arrow to display the selections/options. Chose your answer by placing the mouse over your selection and click.
Changing entered data
- To change the data you have already entered in a field, place the mouse on the field and use the "Delete" key or "Backspace" key to remove the entered data. Now you can enter the new data in that field.
- To clear the data from all fields and start over, click on the "Clear Data" button located near the top of the form.
The form contains boxes to be checked or selected.
- Place the mouse over the box you want to select. Click the mouse button. A checkmark appears in the box.
- To deselect a box and remove the checkmark, click on the box again.
Fields with a limited number of characters
Some fields limit the maximum number of characters you can enter.
- A maximum of nine digits can be entered in the Social Insurance Number field.
- For the surname field, 20 characters are available. If you enter more characters, only 20 will be kept.
- Dates: Unless otherwise specified, all dates must be entered in the format YYYY-MM-DD (for example, "2011-02-03" means February 3, 2011).
- Telephone numbers: All phone numbers include the standard area code and phone number, do not enter dashes.
- Signature: The form requires a signature and must be signed by hand after you have completed and printed the form.
Printing completed forms
- After you have entered and verified the data on your fillable form, you must print it. You cannot save a completed copy of this form on your computer.
- To print the form, click on the "print" icon in the PDF reader. The "Print" dialog box is displayed. The form is designed to be printed on letter-size paper (8 1/2" x 11").
- Print 2 copies, one to submit and the other for your record.
Submitting completed forms
- Manually sign the form.
- The form includes instructions about where to send the completed paper copy.
- Date modified: