Phoenix for employees – Tips for success
Employees use Phoenix Self-Service to view personal information, enter time, and request leave. Self-Service also allows employees to track their status via Phoenix “status field” at all times. This fact sheet includes helpful tips to ensure employees are equipped with the resources and information to use Phoenix Self Service and avoid common mistakes.
The following includes helpful tips for employees when completing key activities in Phoenix:
Establish the Employee – Section 34 Manager relationship information in Phoenix Self Service
- Establish the employee – Section 34 manager relationship in Phoenix. Managers cannot approve employee time, leave, extra duty pay, etc. without it.
- Delete all previous Section 34 manager relationships before adding a new one.
- Update the employee – Section 34 manager relationship in Phoenix when assigned to a new manager.
- Outstanding time entries will be automatically rerouted to the new manager once the relationship is established in Phoenix.
- Learn more. Review the Employee and Section 34 Manager Relationship - (available on Government of Canada network only) fact sheet.
Enter time and leave
- Know when to use Phoenix to report positive time, leave without pay of five consecutive days or less, and overtime pay.
- For employees in organizations using PeopleSoft 8.9 (GCHRMS), all these actions are requested and approved in Phoenix Self-Service.
- For employees in organizations using PeopleSoft 9.1 (My GCHR), time reporting and extra duty pay will be requested and approved in Phoenix Self-Service, while leave without pay of five days or less will be requested via the PeopleSoft HR system's self-service tools.
- Paid leave and banked overtime (compensatory leave) will not be entered in Phoenix Self-Service. For both 8.9 and 9.1, these requests will be submitted via the PeopleSoft HR system's self-service tools.
- Learn more. Review Frequently Asked Questions for Employees - (available on Government of Canada network only).
Review and check exceptions
- Enter time carefully to avoid errors then check back regularly to review the status of these entries.
- Phoenix updates overnight and automatically generates ‘exceptions’ (errors) that indicate when an entry does not comply with the relevant collective agreement or other rules regarding time and labour.
- Check back the day after your entry to review and action exceptions.
- Some exceptions will create issues with payments and will not be processed until they are corrected by the employee or manager.
- Review the payable time report to check the status of entries (e.g. approved, pushed back, denied).
- Confirm your Section 34 Manager approved your time and labour entries on time.
- Entries must be approved by Section 34 Managers and then authorized by Section 33 before the Phoenix system cut offs in order to be included in the pay period.
- Delays in approvals and authorizations will cause payments to be delayed until the next pay cheque.
- Learn more. Review Exceptions Job Aid and Phoenix Self-Service for Employees fact sheet.
Receive and review payments
- Understand how the pay calendar works. Employees in the April rollout will receive their first pay through Phoenix on May 4th, 2016. The pay stub will also be available through Phoenix starting on May 4th, 2016.
- Understand employees may see slight changes in their pay with Phoenix implementation. This is not an error. These changes are due to variations in how calculations in the old, Regional Pay System (RPS) were made and how calculations are made in Phoenix.
- Get to know the new paystub.
- Learn more. Review: Understanding the Differences in My Pay - (available on Government of Canada network only) fact sheet and A Guide to the New Pay Stub - (available on Government of Canada network only) fact sheet
Become familiar with other relevant Phoenix support resources
- Phoenix Self-Service Capabilities for Employees and Managers - Webcast Presentation - (available on Government of Canada network only)
- Employee Guide to Phoenix Support - (available on Government of Canada network only)
- Phoenix Self Service – Tips for Success - (available on Government of Canada network only)
- Communication with the Pay Centre, your role and responsibilities - (available on Government of Canada network only)
- Date modified: