Workforce adjustment occurs when the services of one or more indeterminate employees are no longer required beyond a specified date due to a lack of work, the discontinuance of a function, a relocation in which the employee does not wish to participate or an alternative delivery initiative.
The department is responsible to communicate to employees guaranteed reasonable job offer or options A, B Transition support measure, C Transition support measure plus Educational leave without pay.
An alternation occurs when an opting employee who wishes to remain in the core public administration exchanges positions with a non-affected employee (the alternate) willing to leave the core public administration under the terms of Part VI of Workforce adjustment directive.
Reference: Workforce Adjustment collective agreement provisions, the National Joint Council Work Force Adjustment Directive and/or the Treasury Board Directive on Career Transition for Executives
- Contact their manager to request information on their status (for example: affected, surplus)
- Request clarification or information from the departmental human resources (Staffing or Labor relations) as required (for example: is the department offering guaranteed reasonable job offers or will the employee become an opting employee, what is the difference, available options, etcetera)
Opting status: No guaranteed reasonable job offers
If Reasonable job offers is not available, the employee will be referred to the Pay Centre by the departmental human resources once their status has been confirmed (affected or surplus) to obtain information on option B (Transition support measure) or option C (Transition support measure plus Education allowance, resignation, Leave without pay to pursue education).
Choose one of the following three options:
- Alternation: Find another employee to alternate with
Note: The alternate moving into the opting position must meet the requirements of the position, except if the alternate will not be performing the duties of the position and the alternate will be terminated within five working days of the alternation.
- Option B (transition support measure) or option C (transition support measure plus education leave without pay):
- Request a transition support mesure calculation
- Option A or B and wanting a pension waiver (must be 55 to 59 years of age with at least 10 years of service and not in receipt of a reasonable job offers and is laid-off):
- Complete a pension waiver form PWGSC 2429 for departments employed by Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat and PWGSC 2429-1 where Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat is not the employer and send it to human resources
- Contact human resources before initiating any communication with the employee
- Communicate information to the employee affected by Workforce adjustment and address any concerns raised by the employee.
- Refer the employee to the departmental human resources branch to obtain information and clarification on Workforce adjustment options depending on the employee’s status
- Inform departmental human resources of the employee’s option either for a guaranteed reasonable job offers or where there is no guaranteed reasonable job offers
- Inform departmental human resources if the employee is being declared surplus or being provided with a guaranteed reasonable job offers
- Provide employee termination notice to human resources
- Provide employee termination notice to the Pay Centre through a trusted source by encrypted email, fax or mail to the Pay Centre: Mail facility, including a pay action request form PSPC 446-5E duly completed
- Participate in the alternation process as per 6.2.1 of the Workforce adjustment directive
Authorize leave without pay to pursue education when this option is available to the employee.
The deputy head or delegated authority
Certify that the employee has not received an educational allowance, was not in receipt of either a reasonable job offer or a guaranteed reasonable job offer.
- First point of contact
- Communicate and share information with managers and employees on Workforce adjustment within their department
- Coordinate information sharing to employees between the department, finance and the Pay Centre for options A, B and C
- Enter information in Human Resources Management System
If there is no guaranteed reasonable job offers:
- Issue affected or surplus letters to employees and by encrypted email, fax or mail to the Pay Centre: Mail facility, including a pay action request form PSPC 446-5E duly completed
- Inform the employee on options A and coordinating information sharing on option C (human resources provides information on layoff and priority status and refers the employee to the Pay Centre for information on options B and C (transition support measure and educational leave without pay). Refer them to the Pension Centre.
- Maintain and provide a list of names of those surplus employees or alternates to the Pay Centre (who may be requesting information on workforce adjustment options B or C if there is no guaranteed reasonable job offers)
- Validate whether a section 34 manager also has staffing delegation (certification) to sign an affected or surplus letter
If there is a guaranteed reasonable job offers:
- Inform the employee of the different options associated with the guaranteed reasonable job offers
When alternating, the alternation must occur within 120 days of the other employee having been notified that he is opting. A letter of offer must be issued within the 120 day time frame and sent by encrypted email, fax or mail to the Pay Centre: Mail facility, including a pay action request form PSPC 446-5E duly completed.
Note: An alternation must occur on a given date, i.e., two employees directly exchange positions on the same day.
The section 33 authorization of the transaction in Phoenix
Surplus and/or lay-off priority periods
On behalf of the home department or organization:
- The payment of any other authorized costs such as travel, relocation and retraining for surplus employees and laid-off persons where the department does not offer a guaranteed reasonable job offers
Upon receipt of termination notice:
- Ensure that signatures on paper requests transmitted from a departments to Pay Centre are authenticated, example:
- The section 34 signature is authenticated for all requests affecting financial results and/or manager’s budget before it is sent to the Public Service Pay Centre
- The human resources delegated signature is authenticated for all requests being submitted by departments (excluding direct from employees)
- Perform the calculations and inform the employee on options B (transition support measure) and C (transition support measure plus education leave without pay)
- Severance pay (where applicable)
- Process the Leave without pay for the employee and all activities related to this process (See: Leave without pay (greater than 5 days) (where applicable)
- Process the termination for the employee and all activities related to this process (see termination) (where applicable)
- Certify years of service
- Reimburse tuition fees and books (where applicable)
Option A or B and wanting a pension waiver
Identify submission process for form:
- Pension waiver form PWGSC 2429 for departments employed by Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat and PWGSC 2429-1 where Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat is not the employer
- Date modified: