Garnishment and set-offs
Garnishments and set-offs are deductions mandated by the Department of Justice or the Canada Revenue Agency.
Reference: Common Human Resources Business Process 4.01.06
- Section 33 authorization of the transaction in Phoenix
- Issuance of all garnishment payments to the third party as directed by the court order and set-off payments as directed by Canada Revenue Agency and requisitioned by the Pay Centre
- Reconcile garnishment amount with accounts payable to the court
Upon receipt of notice from the Pay Centre:
- Obtain the appropriate section 34 signature and issue cheques to third parties, as per the garnishment instructions
Upon receipt of notice of any garnishments from the Department of Justice and notice of any set-offs from Canada Revenue Agency:
- Notify departmental finance of Garnishment
Note: There is no notification sent to finance related to statutory set-offs details.
- Enter the garnishment information into Phoenix
Note: The amounts withheld for a garnishment will be automatically calculated by Phoenix.
- Notify the employee about the garnishment deduction
Important: Canada Revenue Agency will first provide this notice to compensation sector who in turn will provide this to the Pay Centre.
If the employee is separating from the public service, transferring to another department within the public service or taking a leave:
- Inform the finance organization (of the employee’s department)
- Date modified: