Logistics Vehicle Modernization Project
Explore the project to modernize and improve the light and heavy vehicle capability of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF).
On this page
- Project at a glance
- Project description
- Current status
- Procurement progress and engagement
- Related links
Project at a glance
- The Logistics Vehicle Modernization (LVM) Project is modernizing and improving the CAF’s light and heavy logistics vehicle capability
- Light and heavy logistics vehicles
Minor fleet of heavy engineer support vehicles
In-service support, infrastructure upgrades and construction services
- Project status
- Engaging with industry and qualified suppliers to refine the project requirements
- Next steps
- Release draft Request for Proposal (RFP) by end of April 2021
- Release a formal RFP in summer 2021
- Contract award in 2021/2022
The project seeks to revitalize and replace Canada’s light and heavy logistics vehicle capabilities. Modernizing the CAF’s logistics vehicle fleet is an initiative outlined in Canada’s defence policy, Strong, Secure, Engaged.
The Industrial and Technological Benefits Policy, including Value Proposition, will apply to this procurement.
The draft RFP is being released incrementally to the qualified suppliers. Initial documents, focused on requirements, were released between July 2020 and September 2020. Remaining documents, including the detailed bid evaluation and in-service support requirements, are expected to be released by end of April 2021.
Procurement progress and engagement
The procurement will be completed through an open and transparent competitive process.
2011 and 2014
Industry engagement began with the publication of Letters of Interest in 2011 and 2014 to seek industry feedback on the procurement strategy.
2019 and 2020
- February 7, 2019: Approval received for project definition
- March 18, 2019: A draft Invitation to Qualify was released to industry for feedback and comments
- April 29, 2019: Using the feedback from the draft Invitation to Qualify (ITQ), a formal Invitation to Qualify was released
- July 8, 2019: A list of qualified suppliers, who demonstrated the technical ability to develop and propose solutions for the project, was released. The list includes:
- Daimler AG (Sept 11, 2020 – notified Canada of their intent to partner with General Dynamics Land Systems – Canada)
- General Dynamics Land Systems – Canada Corporation and General Dynamics Land Systems, Incorporated
- Iveco Defence Vehicles S.p.A.
- Mack Defense LLC (with ARQUUS)
- Navistar Defense LLC
- Oshkosh Defense Canada Incorporated and Oshkosh Defense, LLC
- Rheinmetall Canada Inc. and Rheinmetall MAN Military Vehicles GmbH
Only these suppliers are invited to participate in the next phases of engagement and submit bids in response to the RFP.
2021 and beyond
- Continued engagement with qualified suppliers to review and finalize the RFP
- Release formal RFP in summer 2021
- Contract award in 2022
- Date modified: