Supreme Court of Canada Building: Rehabilitation
From: Public Services and Procurement Canada
Learn about the project to modernize the iconic Supreme Court of Canada Building.
On this page
- 301 Wellington Street, Ottawa, Ontario
Locate the Supreme Court of Canada Building on a map
- Type of project
- Modernization and conservation
- Lead department
- Public Services and Procurement Canada
- A budget of over $1 billion has been identified for the entire program of work. This overall budget includes modernizing and conserving the Supreme Court of Canada Building and the West Memorial Building.
- Project status: Identification stage
- The project is currently being analyzed and developed further to ensure it represents the best value for money.
We will modernize the Supreme Court of Canada Building while conserving its heritage value. The project includes:
- remove (the) asbestos
- restore the heritage elements of the building, including:
- exterior walls
- interior finishes
- replace mechanical, electrical and life safety systems
- modernize the information technology, multimedia and security systems
- upgrade the structure to meet current seismic codes
- fit-up the interior to meet the needs of Supreme Court of Canada Building occupants
When completed, the Supreme Court of Canada Building will provide a modernized workplace that meets current building codes, health, safety, seismic, security, environmental and accessibility standards.
Click on the image to view a larger version.
Benefits to Canadians
The iconic Supreme Court of Canada Building where Canada’s highest tribunal resides, will be modernized to meet current building codes, while being as green as possible.
This program of work will provide local and national economic benefits. It will create a new demand for a range of jobs in the following industries:
- professional services
The Supreme Court of Canada Building was built from 1938 to 1940. This will be the first time the building undergoes such important and extensive work.
The building currently houses:
- the Supreme Court of Canada, including its judges and employees
- the Federal Court of Appeal
- the Federal Court
Modernizing the West Memorial Building
In the first phase of our program of work, we are modernizing the West Memorial Building while conserving its heritage value.
After the West Memorial Building rehabilitation project is finished, it will become the temporary home for the courts, and the people who work in them.
This will allow the Supreme Court of Canada Building to be vacant while we carry out this extensive work.
Latest news about this project
- August 31, 2020: Request for Qualification, construction management services (EH900-201608/B)
- August 20, 2020: Request for Qualification, Supreme Court of Canada Building, architectural and engineering services (EH900-201607/B)
- March 2, 2020: Advance Procurement Notice, architectural and engineering services for Supreme Court of Canada (EH900-201607/A)
- March 2, 2020: Advance Procurement Notice, Prime consultant and construction manager (EH900-201608/A)
- July 17, 2017: Government of Canada to rehabilitate Supreme Court of Canada Building
Contact Real Property
- Date modified: