Environmental management at the Esquimalt Graving Dock
From: Public Services and Procurement Canada
Learn what we do, in partnership with the ship repair industry, to manage the Esquimalt Graving Dock in an environmentally responsible way to be the premier ship repair, construction and maintenance facility on the west coast of North America.
On this page
Environmental management certification
To ensure business at the facility is conducted in an environmentally responsible manner we have put in place an environmental management system that complies with but is not registered to the standard 14001 of the International Organization for Standardization (ISO).
Following the guidelines of ISO 14001 has allowed us to set up successful and cost-effective environmental programs and initiatives. Our programs and initiatives help ensure our clients conduct their operations in a way that reduces environmental impacts and demonstrates consideration for the health, safety and well-being of other clients, workers and the community.
Our commitment to environmental protection is outlined in the Esquimalt Graving Dock Environmental Policy.
To meet our commitment, our policy states that we will:
- protect the natural environment and prevent pollution
- meet or exceed applicable federal, provincial and municipal legislation and regulations, uphold departmental policies and abide by industry standards, practices and other requirements related to our identified environmental aspects
- establish and review our programs, objectives and targets to ensure we are meeting our environmental commitments
- communicate openly with our employees, users, tenants, contractors, suppliers, neighbours and other stakeholders regarding our Environmental Management System and the nature of our operations
- educate our employees and the users of our facility to ensure they are aware of and understand their roles and responsibilities in protecting the environment
- meet the evolving needs and expectations of our industry and community through the continual improvement of our systems, programs and procedures
Our policy demonstrates our commitment towards the:
- prevention of pollution
- protection of the natural environment
- compliance with applicable environmental regulations and standards
Environmental best management practices
Our clients are expected to operate in an environmentally responsible manner, which means complying with the applicable environmental regulations and standards. We have developed a comprehensive set of environmental best management practices.
These practices are ways of reducing and preventing the discharge of pollutants into the environment through good housekeeping, maintenance, materials management, communications, work practices and technology. Most practices are a form of source control for pollution prevention. They minimize the production of waste and pollution from activities such as paint removal and surface preparation, painting, engine maintenance and materials handling.
- Date modified: