Reconstruction of the Voltigeurs de Québec Armoury
On this page
Between the fire and inauguration
The Voltigeurs de Québec Armoury, home to the oldest French-Canadian regiment still in existence, was damaged by fire in April 2008. One of the federal government’s first steps was to clean up the site and undertake the initial work to preserve the remaining structure. In the meantime, the Voltigeurs moved to a new site for a 10-year period.
In 2009 and 2010, Public Services and Procurement Canada (PSPC) carried out a series of activities to come up with a plan for the future of the Armoury: public consultations, a feasibility and profitability analysis, a variety of historical, archeological and environmental analyses and studies, and post-disaster structural evaluations.
In June 2011, following an open and transparent tendering process, PSPC awarded a contract to Arcop (now Architecture 49 Inc), D.F.S. Inc., Architecture & Design, Saint-Gelais Montminy and Associates, Architectural Consortium to prepare the architectural designs and sketches for reconstruction of the Armoury, as well as plans and specifications.
In November 2012, the Government of Canada unveiled the design for the reconstruction of the Voltigeurs de Québec Armoury.
In 2015, Arcop, D.F.S. Inc., Architecture & Design, Saint-Gelais Montminy and Associates, Architectural Consortium, provided PSPC with plans and specifications.
On May 19, 2015, following an open and transparent tendering process launched in January 2015, PSPC awarded a contract to Pomerleau Inc. for the reconstruction and expansion of the Armoury.
On May 23, 2017, following a call for tenders, PSPC awarded a contract to George V service de banquets et traiteur, to manage the multipurpose spaces of the Voltigeurs de Québec Armoury.
On April 26, 2018, the Government of Canada officially inaugurated the rebuilt Voltigeurs de Québec Armoury.
The reconstruction of the Voltigeurs de Québec Armory is an investment of approximately $104 million.
About the Armoury
Built in 1887 and expanded in 1913, the Armoury has always been a prominent feature of the Québec landscape. It was designed by Québec architect Eugène-Étienne Taché who is known for his designs for the Quebec National Assembly building and the former Québec courthouse.
Its influence on a number of subsequent major Canadian buildings' style led to the Armoury being designated a "national historic site of Canada" on the recommendation of the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada, which also includes Place Georges-V located between the building and Grande Allée to the north. The building was also "Classified" on the recommendation of the Federal Heritage Building Review Office, meaning that it obtained the highest heritage designation that can be granted to a federal building by the Minister of the Environment.
Despite the damage it sustained, the building retains some of its architectural integrity and most of the features that make it an exceptional example of the Château style.It is a landmark in the memory of Canadians, valued for its associations with the Voltigeurs de Québec—the oldest French-Canadian regiment still in existence—and the Royal Rifles of Canada.
- Date modified: