GCworkplace: A modern workplace for the new public service
Find information about the new Government of Canada initiative to modernize the workplace for the public service.
On this page
GCworkplace is an innovative and future-oriented conversation about changing the way we work. Every public servant is a key player in our workplace transformation because this is about the people and the way we do our work, not just the workspace.
As you saw in Blueprint 2020, the Government of Canada is taking important steps to create a confident and high performing workforce that embraces new ways of working and mobilizing the diversity of talent we have to serve the country’s evolving needs. GCworkplace is a big part of making that vision a reality.
Providing greater flexibility in where and how employees work so they can be as productive as possible in delivering programs and services to Canadians.
Creating a modern workplace that puts employee experience and quality of service at the core.
Retooling work environments to encourage collaboration, using technology in smarter ways, and fostering a culture of health and well-being.
The GCworkplace vision was formed and is oriented towards the following seven dimensions: flexible, digital, efficient, green, inclusive, collaborative, and healthy.
Infographic: A modern GCworkplace for the new public service
The image is a large arrow. On top of the arrow there are 5 smiling employees. Above those employees, there is a circled arrow around the image with graphics representing the 7 dimensions of GCworkplace: digital, inclusive, healthy, flexible, efficient, collaborative, green.
An integrated approach
The GCworkplace implementation goes beyond space, towards an integrated project delivery model that includes functional area experts in information technology (IT), information management (IM), human resources (HR), security and facilities. Our approach also includes design leadership as well as comprehensive support for employees to be successful in their new workplace through robust change management.
Infographic: GCworkplace, an integrated approach
The image is a circle with an employee in the centre surrounded with an outer circle with graphics representing security, information technology, interior design, sustainability, information management, occupational health and safety, human resources and facility and assets. There is an inner circle representing the client, Shared Services Canada and Public Services Procurement Canada.
What’s in it for employees
- Empowers employees to choose where and how to work to be most productive
- Provides flexibility and greater variety of spaces
- Offers modern, open, airy and bright spaces that inspire people
- Supports employees health and well-being
- Fosters collaboration at all levels
- Increase personal productivity by providing better technology and work processes
What’s in it for the Government of Canada
- Better service to Canadians
- Contributes to sustainability goals through data-informed decision making on better ways to work, design, use and manage the workplace
- Allows the Government of Canada to attract retain the best talents
- Optimizes efficiency of facilities and creates less waste
- Commitment to the digital office
GCworkplace Fit-up Standards
To access the GCworkplace Fit-up Standards and related tools, please visit: GCworkplace GCpedia (available on Government of Canada network only) resources page or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for questions and comments.
To request a copy of the GCworkplace Fit-up Standards, or for questions or comments, please email email@example.com.
- Contact GCworkplace
- Join the conversation on social medial by using the following hashtag: #GCworkplace
- Date modified: