Project Management Professional Accreditation
Real Property Branch (RPB) supports the accreditation of their project management staff as Project Management Professionals (PMP) by the Project Management Institute (PMI) to:
- enhance / sustain the RPB 'Value Proposition' by improving the quality and visibility of project management services provided to its clients; and
- foster individual, professional career development and upgrading of project management skills.
RPB Value Proposition
The RPB Value Proposition focuses on client needs particularly for effective risk management, responsiveness and value for money. Achieving these objectives requires ongoing improvements in our ability to deliver quality project management services. Equally important, our clients must perceive us as an organization oriented towards client needs and able to deliver the required services.
Professional Career Development
Long-term retention and improvement of project management skills requires a yardstick to assess an individual's knowledge and skills, a method of publicly recognizing the levels of achievements and an organized approach to skill upgrading.
Project Management Professional Certification
PMI is the leading non-profit professional organization of project managers with over 40,000 members. The PMP certification program is accepted as "the world-wide standard for measuring individuals core knowledge and understanding of project management principles". PMP certification is being incorporated into the career path requirements for individuals seeking project management responsibility in many large organizations and provides official and public recognition of an individual's ability to meet specified standards in the field of project management.
The prerequisite for PMP certification is a combination of a recognized education level supplemented by extensive project management experience. This is followed by the successful completion of a 200 question, 4.5 hour examination. The PMI utilizes the term Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK®) to designate the sum of knowledge within the profession of project management. Their Guide to the PMBOK® identifies and describes the subset of the overall body of knowledge that is generally accepted as applicable to most projects most of the time. A wide range of training to assist candidates in acquiring this knowledge is offered by the PMI as well as other organizations including colleges, universities and the private sector. The PMI also requires certified PMPs to satisfy an ongoing program of professional development through a requirement for 7.5 Professional Development Units (PDUs) every three years.
RPB will provide support in the following areas to project management staff to assist them in improving their project management skills and in achieving certification by the PMI as PMP's.
- An introductory course "Project Management - Intro (PMI)" to introduce all staff to the principles of PMI. The intention is to assist employees in identifying individual requirements, and to introduce the PMI terminology with which they may be unfamiliar.
- PMI courses in the nine areas of knowledge identified in the PMI Guide to the PMBOK® include:
- Project Risk Management
- Project Time Management
- Project Cost Management
- Project Communications Management
- Project Human Resources Management
- Project Procurement Management (Contract Management)
- Project Quality Management
- Project Integration Management
- Project Scope Management
- In addition to the Project Management - Intro (PMI), these nine courses are prioritized on a yearly basis.
- Financial support is available to project management staff with the intention of writing the PMP exam who register in:
- evening PMP Certification Exam Preparation seminars, workshop and coaching sessions provided by local chapters of the PMI
- other related PMI based training offered by universities, community colleges and private sector training organizations
- Provision of computer-based training and other self-directed learning materials to staff.
- Support to staff for training required by PMI to remain current as PMPs.
PMP Examination and Membership
- Support will be given to staff for the cost of the fee required to write the PMP Certification Exam (one time only).
- Support will be given to staff for the cost to maintain Professional Development Units as determined by PMI and senior management.
- Date modified: