Project Management Handbook

Appendix A - NPMS « Full » vs. « Lite »

The image describes financial criteria for NPMS full vs NPMS lite for All Real Property and IT enabled Business Projects and IT Enabled Maintenance Projects

Appendix B - Screening Tool

NPMS Screening Tool for Business Projects - IT-Enabled

Initiative/Project Name:

This tool applies to maintenance initiatives for which the estimated cost is less than $1M. This tool ensures that complexity and risk are taken into account in determining if NPMS « Lite » should be used to ensure project management rigor. Any maintenance initiatives that meet one or more of the exception criteria below will apply NPMS « Lite ».

Note: NPMS « Lite » will be used for all maintenance projects between $1-$2M and « Full » NPMS for projects $2M or over.

Describes project exception criteria and reasons why criteria are applicable.
Exception Criteria Applicable (Y/N?) Explanation of why yes or no was selected
1. The outcome to be delivered by the initiative will have a significant impact on the entire department, multiple departments or the Canadian public.    
2. It has been established that a higher level of oversight should apply, as the initiative is highly sensitive politically and/or subject to intense media scrutiny.    
3. Senior management stakeholders or a senior management committee (e.g. the Departmental Strategic Planning Committee or the Business Operations Committee) has directed that the initiative be treated as a strategic business initiative.    
4. The outcome to be delivered by the initiative has an interdependency risk bearing on the delivery of a strategic departmental investment or a strategic Government of Canada investment, such as a mandated decision.    
5. The overall risk assessment is determined to be high probability and high impact (this includes a high-risk exposure for the risk categories of privacy and security.    
6. The initiative is not being undertaken by existing resources as part of regular operations. Additional resources must be added to supplement or backfill existing resources in order to complete the initiative.    

Project Lead Approval

Name:

Signature:

Appendix C - TBS Status Indicators

Variances for Cost and Schedule

Describes criteria used to determine project variances for cost and schedules.
 
On Track: Project progress is on track and achievement of the intended business outcomes is expected.

Some course correction required: One or more of the intended business outcomes may not be achieved.

Significant course correction required: One or more of the intended business outcomes will not be achieved.
Cost Project completion expected within budget. Project completion may not be possible within budget. Additional funding and/or re-profiling may be required. Project completion will not be possible within budget. Funding decisions required.
Schedule Project completion expected within planned schedule. Project completion may not be possible within planned schedule. Project completion will not be possible within planned schedule. Scheduling decisions required.

Variances for Risk

Describes criteria used to determine project risk.
 
On Track

Some course correction required

Significant course correction required
Risk - Probability Low: 1-35% chance that the risk will occur (Unlikely) Medium: 35-65% chance that the risk will occur (Likely) High: > 65% chance that the risk will occur (Very likely)
Risk - Impact Some limited impact but without adverse effect on schedule, cost, scope, quality, and/or where the project's credibility is unlikely to be affected, and/or with no significant impact to the overall project delivery. May include schedule slippage of <10% and/or cost overrun of 1-4%. Impact likely to affect some aspects of the schedule, cost, scope, and/or quality but where workarounds are possible, and/or a situation where the project's credibility could be somewhat undermined. May include schedule slippage of 10-20% and/or a cost overrun of 4-7%. Important impact likely to affect many aspects of the schedule, cost, scope and/or quality, and/or a situation where the project's credibility could be seriously undermined. May include schedule slippage >20% and/or a cost overrun of >7%.
Overall Risk Rating One or more risks are yellow or red, and are not expected to impact the achievement of overall business outcomes. One or more risks are yellow or red, and may impact the overall business outcomes. One or more risks are yellow or red, and may impact the overall business outcomes.

Variance for Scope and Issues

Describes criteria used to determine project scope and issues.
 
On Track: Achievement of the intended business outcomes is expected.

Some course correction required: One or more of the intended business outcomes may not be achieved.

Significant course correction required: One or more of the intended business outcomes will not be achieved.
Scope Identified changes are not expected to negatively impact scope, cost, and/or schedule. Identified changes may negatively impact scope, cost, and/or schedule. Identified changes will negatively impact scope, cost, and/or schedule.
Issues All identified issues are manageable within the scope, cost and schedule and project progress is on track. One or more of the identified issues are potentially unmanageable within the scope, cost or schedule. One or more of the identified issues are unmanageable within the scope, cost or schedule, or the resolution activities undertaken to date have not been effective in resolving the issue.

Overall Project Health

Note: the aggregation of indicators below for overall project health is intended to serve as a guide only. Judgment will also factor into the overall health determination since not every metric will be of equal consideration for every project.

Describes criteria used to determine overall project health.
Aggregate Indicators 2 of 5 are red 1 of 5 are red 2 of 5 are yellow 3 of 5 are yellow 1 yellow + 1 red 2 yellow + 1 red
Overall Project Health
Describes Legend of Symbols.
Symbol Interpretation
On track. On scope, on schedule, and on budget and risks are being managed. Project progress is on track and achievement of the intended business outcomes is expected.
Some course correction required. One or more of the desired business outcomes may not be achieved.
Significant course correction required. One or more of the desired business outcomes will not be achieved.

Appendix D - Glossary of Acronyms and Terms

AD
Approval Document
ADM
Assistant Deputy Minister
BOC
Business Operations Committee
CAB
Change Advisory Committee
CIO
Chief Information Officer
COD
Close Out Document
CODA
Close Out Document Approval
DISC
Departmental Information Management/Information Technology Steering Committee
DG
Director General
DPC
Departmental Policy Committee
ECAB
Enterprise Change Advisory Board
EPA
Effective Project Approval
FR
Feasibility Report
FRA
Feasibility Report Approval
IAR
Investment Analysis Report
ICOD
Identification Close Out Document
IM/IT ARB
Information Management/Information Technology Architecture Review Board
IM/IT
Information Management/Information Technology
IT
Information Technology
MAF
Management Accountability Framework
NPMS
National Project Management System
OGD
Other Government Department
PCRA
Project Complexity and Risk Assessment
PMAC
Project Management Advisory Council
PMO
Project Management Office
PMP
Project Management Plan
PMPA
Project Management Plan Approval
PPA
Preliminary Project Approval
PPP
Preliminary Project Plan
PPPA
Preliminary Project Plan Approval
PSR
Project Status Report
PTO
Product Turn-Over
PWGSC/PSPC
Public Services and Procurement Canada
QA
Quality Assurance
RFC
Request For Change
SLA
Service Level Agreement
SoR
Statement of Requirements
SoRA
Statement of Requirements Approval
TB
Treasury Board
TBS
Treasury Board Secretariat
TOA
Turn-over Approval

Document Navigation for "Project Management Handbook"