Revising with the right balance (SFE-224)
This workshop is offered in English only and is reserved for people translating or revising French-to-English texts. For more information about the equivalent course in French, consult: Réviser avec doigté (SFE-124).
- Professional training
When it comes to revision, what’s the “right balance”? How can you revise just enough and in just the right way to work well with others and produce a good final product? In this workshop, you will learn about the how-tos of revision: how to revise effectively, how to maintain good relations with the people you revise—and how to do it all with the right balance.
The workshop will cover the reviser’s role, the qualities of the ideal reviser, the revision process, formative versus practical revision, degrees of revision, justification of revisions (including the differences between errors, improvements and preferences), and feedback.
It will not cover the Translation Bureau’s internal procedures, the identifying and naming errors, english editing or self-revision.
Course code: SFE-224
- Open to
- Translators, revisers and other language professionals
- The participants must already be involved in translating or revising texts from French to English.
- Learning objectives
The workshop is intended to help you:
- understand the value of revision and the role of the reviser
- learn about the various components of the revision process
- use your judgment when revising
- gain the tools you need to maintain good and productive relations with the people you revise
Virtual classroom: 14 hours (4 sessions of 3.50 hours)
- Please consult the Translation Bureau's course directory and calendar.
- Number of participants
10 to 12
The Translation Bureau reserves the right to cancel this activity unless at least six participants are expected to attend.
- Course fee
$630 (free of charge for Translation Bureau employees)
20% discount for members of a recognized professional association with proof of current membership (photocopy of membership card).
- To register for this workshop, please consult the Translation Bureau's course registration procedure and form.
- Date modified: