Introduction to legal translation: Canada’s constitution, judicial system and legislation, and applicable translation problems (SFE-264) [reserved for Translation Bureau employees]
This workshop is offered in English only and is reserved for people translating or revising texts from French to English. For more information about the equivalent course in French, consult: Initiation à la traduction juridique : Connaissances générales et problèmes fréquents – Volet I (SFE-164).
- Professional training
In this first part, we will discuss the Constitution of Canada and certain related terms, the Canadian legal system and how to translate legal citations and terms such as tribunal, juge, arbitre, droit autochtone and article in various contexts.
Language professionals with no legal training who are called upon to translate or revise texts with legal content will have the opportunity to see things in context and acquire knowledge.
Course code: SFE-264
- Open to
- Translation Bureau translators, revisers and other language professionals
- The participants must already be involved in translating or revising texts from French to English.
- The workshop is given in English; however, participants are welcome to use the official language of their choice.
- Learning objectives
At the end of the workshop, participants will be able to:
- have a basic knowledge of Canada’s legal and judicial systems
- be able to find solutions to certain legal translation problems; and
- be familiar the main sources and resources to consult for translating legal or paralegal documents
- Virtual classroom: 10.50 hours (3 sessions of 3.5 hours)
- Please consult the Translation Bureau’s course directory and calendar.
- Number of participants
10 to 12
The Translation Bureau reserves the right to cancel this activity unless at least eight participants are expected to attend.
- Course fee
- Free of charge for Translation Bureau employees
- To register for this workshop, please consult the Translation Bureau’s course registration procedure and form.
- Date modified: