Divorce or separation—Reservists in the Reserve Force Pension Plan

In the event that your marriage or common-law relationship ends, it is important to understand the possible impact on your pension and insurance benefits plans.

You may want to know

Whom should I inform in the event of my separation or divorce?

Submit copies of your separation agreement or divorce decree to the Government of Canada Pension Centre. If your common-law relationship has ended, send the Government of Canada Pension Centre a letter providing them with the information.

You may also want to review and update your beneficiary designation under the Supplementary Death Benefit (SDB) plan if you are a Reservist on Class "C" service.

Include your Service Number (SN) or your Pension Number, on all documents you send to the Government of Canada Pension Centre.

Is my former spouse or former common-law partner eligible for part of my pension?

No. Currently, there are no provisions in the Reserve Force Pension Plan Regulations (RFPPR), Part I.1 of the Canadian Forces Superannuation Act (CFSA), that allow for the division of pension benefits. Accordingly, it is not possible to enforce such a division against a Part I.1 pension benefit at this time. If Part I.1 of the CFSA is amended in the future, updated information will be provided on this web site.

Date modified: