Public Service Pay Centre update
The pay issues currently being experienced by public servants are unacceptable, and we are working tirelessly at all levels to resolve them. To that end, the Public Service Pay Dashboard has been redesigned to better track the progress being made in ensuring that public servants are paid accurately and on time.Review the December 2021 dashboard
On this page
- Financial transactions beyond the Pay Centre’s normal workload since 2018
- Financial transactions received and processed by the Pay Centre monthly since 2018
- Descriptions of terms used in the dashboards
- Previous dashboards
Financial transactions beyond the Pay Centre's normal workload since 2018
The following graph represents the backlog of financial transactions waiting to be processed at the Public Service Pay Centre. It shows the overall downward trend since January 2018, from 384,000 to 122,000, as of December 22, 2021. Note that these figures exclude 80,000 transactions that are considered to be part of the normal workload.
Financial transactions beyond Pay Centre's normal workload since January 2018 – Table
|Month and Year||Number of transactions|
Financial transactions received and processed by the Pay Centre monthly since 2018
The following graph shows the number of new financial transactions received, as well as the new and backlogged financial transactions processed by the Public Service Pay Centre every month.
The number of financial transactions received from departments and agencies served by the Public Service Pay Centre varies each month. These variations are primarily due to seasonal trends. For instance, the months leading to the start of summer and fall usually consist of higher volumes of student and casual hiring, acting appointments, and employees returning from leave. The number of transactions processed monthly also varies based on different factors, such as the complexity of cases, collective agreement implementation requirements, and seasonal trends. Therefore, as we can see in the previous graph, large reductions in the number of financial transactions waiting to be processed at the Pay Centre will, at times, be followed by a smaller decrease or even increases.
Financial transactions received and processed by the Pay Centre monthly since January 2018 – Table
|Year and Month||Financial transactions received||Financial transactions processed|
Descriptions of terms used in the dashboards
The dashboard presents information on three main areas:
Transactions beyond normal workload
The first measure is the number of transactions beyond our normal workload. The Public Service Pay Centre can normally process approximately 80,000 transactions each month. Eventually, the goal is to have zero transactions beyond the normal workload. Note that these numbers have been rounded for clarity and represent transactions with a financial impact.
Public Service Pay Centre workflow
The second measure is the workflow going through the Public Service Pay Centre. These numbers represent how many transactions are received and processed each month. The goal is to process more transactions than are received, thereby reducing the number of transactions beyond normal workload.
Percentage of transactions processed within service standards
The third measure is the percentage of transactions that are processed within the service standards. Previous dashboards listed separate types of transactions and their corresponding service standards. Presenting information this way made sense because of the prioritization of specific transaction types to bring them in line with service standards. However, given the focus on collective agreements, there is a move towards a more holistic and employee-centric approach where a variety of transactions are processed in an employee’s pay file at the same time. Therefore, presenting an average of all service standards to provide an overall indication of progress is a more accurate metric.
- Public Service Pay Centre dashboard: November 2021
- Public Service Pay Centre dashboard: October 2021
- Public Service Pay Centre dashboard: September 2021
- Public Service Pay Centre dashboard: August 2021
- Public Service Pay Centre dashboard: July 2021
- Public Service Pay Centre dashboard: June 2021
- Public Service Pay Centre dashboard: May 2021
- Public Service Pay Centre dashboard: April 2021
- Public Service Pay Centre dashboard: March 2021
- Public Service Pay Centre dashboard: February 2021
- Public Service Pay Centre dashboard: January 2021
- Public Service Pay Centre dashboard: December 2020
- Public Service Pay Centre dashboard: November 2020
- Public Service Pay Centre dashboard: October 2020
- Public Service Pay Centre dashboard: September 2020
- Public Service Pay Centre dashboard: August 2020
- Public Service Pay Centre dashboard: July 2020
- Public Service Pay Centre dashboard: June 2020
- Public Service Pay Centre dashboard: May 2020
- Public Service Pay Centre dashboard: April 2020
- Public Service Pay Centre dashboard: March 2020
- Public Service Pay Centre dashboard: February 2020
- Public Service Pay Centre dashboard: January 2020
Datasets for the Public Service Pay Centre update are available via the Open Government Portal.
Thank you for your feedback
- Date modified: