Submit a pay action request
Only if your federal department or agency is served by the Pay Centre.
As a manager or staffing or finance professional, you must complete and attach a pay action request (PAR) form when submitting a service request to the Pay Centre and forward it by email on behalf of an employee. Your submitted form must be complete (with all necessary supporting documents attached) or it will be rejected and returned to you. Note that as a manager with delegated authority you will still require a departmental Trusted Source who will authenticate your signature and confirm your authority to approve the request.
On this page
- What you need before you start
- Step 1: Confirm eligibility
- Step 2: Access the form
- Step 3: Complete the form
- Step 4: Submit the form
- More information
What you need before you start
- The Personal Record Identifier of each employee
- The relevant case number with the Pay Centre, if applicable or known
Before you submit a request
Managers need to confirm that the department’s human resources unit has already submitted any new employee’s documentation to the Pay Centre. The Pay Centre cannot respond to any request until it receives the required information.
Special note to Indigenous Services Canada employees.
The Pay Action Request (PAR) form will soon be updated to reflect the creation of Indigenous Services Canada (ISC). Until the modification is made, employees of ISC should continue to use their respective former department, “'Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada”' or “‘Health Canada”,’ as the department selection on the PAR. Once the PAR has been updated to reflect the creation of ISC, communications will be sent to employees and this page will be updated.
Please note that the PAR form has already been updated to include the creation of Crown-Indigenous Relation and Northern Affairs Canada (CIRNAC).
Step 1: Confirm eligibility
To be eligible to submit a pay action request, your department or agency must be served by the Pay Centre.
- Consult the list of departments and agencies served by the Public Service Pay Centre
Not listed? Contact your manager or departmental compensation advisor, and they will help you with any pay-related requests.
Step 2: Access the form
You may request a pay action from the Pay Centre for one employee or for multiple employees.
PAR for one employee
Use this form if you are a manager preparing the request on behalf of one of your employees. As a manager, you must have financial delegation of authority under Financial Administration Act Section 34 to approve the form. Any PAR form requiring a manager’s approval also requires a trusted source.
This form is available for download as a Portable Document Format (pdf). Alternatively, you may complete the accessible HTML version.
If your department offers a centralized trusted source and PAR form review service, you are encouraged to send your form to them first, as they will ensure that your request and documentation are fully complete and will then submit to the Pay Centre on your behalf. Such departments include the following:
- Fisheries & Oceans Canada
- National Defence; HR Connect RH (1-833-RHR-MDND): 1-833-747-6363
- Public Services & Procurement Canada; My HRResource: 1-844-641-5882
Avoid saving the form to your desktop for re-use, as these forms are subject to change and your submission will be rejected if you send in an out-of-date form.
Pay action request form: 446-5E
Download the PDF
Pay action request form (887Kb)
PAR for multiple employees
Use this form if you are a manager submitting a request for multiple employees all requiring the same pay action (with the same work type or sub type).
The Bulk PAR form (accessible only on the Government of Canada network) is currently available only for download as a pdf. Contact the Client Contact Centre if you have trouble downloading this form.
Submitting a bulk pay action request
- you must submit a bulk pay action request for each work type or sub type
- For example, if you are submitting time sheets for one group of employees and extra duty pay requests for another group, you must submit two bulk pay action requests
- you may not submit more than 35 pages with each request
- you may not submit a request with more than 15 employees
- you may not email a pay action request that is saved in Adobe LiveCycle
- you may not send documentation exceeding a total of 5 mega bites in size
- you must ensure that any attachments have separate and distinct documents for each employee, and that each document clearly indicates the associated employee PRI. This way each document can be easily separated and added to the correct individual’s pay file
Initiating the year-end mandatory cash-out of vacation or compensatory leave
These requests are typically done in bulk and have a distinct process. As a manager, you must email a PeopleSoft report (as an .xls file) or an Excel spreadsheet first to your departmental trusted source, who will then submit to the Pay Centre’s Operational Support Triage group. (There is no requirement for a PAR form.) Your departmental trusted source will then authenticate your approval and send it to the Pay Centre at the following email address:
Step 3: Complete the form
You may complete the form either on-screen or by hand. However, by choosing to complete it on-screen, you:
- lessen the chance of making a mistake or leaving out required information
- ensure that the form is readable by the Pay Centre’s computers
- submit the most current version of the form, which is the only version the Pay Centre accepts
Make sure that you complete each mandatory field on either the pay action request form or the bulk pay action request form.
Pay extra attention
Avoid having to resubmit the form. How? Consult the list of reasons for potential rejection.
Completing the different sections
The employee information section of the form should be easy to understand. The following information may help you complete the other sections of either the individual or bulk request form.
Work and sub work-types
You are required to provide the work-type, sub work type or both on the form.
- Consult the list of work and sub work-types: This information applies to both the individual and bulk request forms, although the bulk PAR form has only sub-types.
If you are an employee and you are initiating a request that your manager with delegated authority must approve, then you must provide your manager’s name and email address, and ideally their telephone number, in the requester section.
If you are a manager or work in staffing, you are the requester and must provide your contact information.
If you are an employee and the pay action is a work type/sub-type that you are permitted to submit on your own, without the need for a manager approval (and trusted source validation), then you must provide your own contact information as the requester.
The trusted source is the person responsible for ensuring that managers with a financial delegation of authority under Section 34 of the Financial Administration Act are authenticated for all requests affecting financial results, the manager’s budget or both before being sent to the Pay Centre.
If you are an employee or a manager, leave the trusted source section blank and forward your partially complete form to your departmental trusted source for validation and submission to the Pay Centre on your behalf.
Did you remember?
If you are completing the PDF version of the individual or bulk request form, don’t forget to provide the number of pages and today’s date at the top-right-hand corner of the form.
Step 4: Submit the form
If you do not require a trusted source and are emailing the form, save the form to your computer, so you can attach it to your email. Alternatively, you may email the form directly from Adobe Reader if you completed the pdf version. Send the form to the following address:
Email to the Pay Centre
Note that all PAR forms requiring a Trusted Source must be submitted to the Pay Centre via a trusted source email address, or they will be returned. If your form does not require a trusted source and you prefer not to email it, you can still print and send the form to one of the following coordinates:
Mail to the Pay CentrePublic Service Pay Centre: Mail Facility
PO Box 6500
Matane QC G4W 0H6
Fax to the Pay Centre
- Contact the Client Contact Centre
- Reference material for managers, human resources and finance
- Pay centre documentations requirement reference guide for employees, managers, human resources and finance
- Date modified: