Cashing out leave
Last updated: November 7, 2019
This section describes the responsibilities of the various parties involved in processing the cashing out of leave.
On this page
An employee’s collective agreement will indicate how and when leave is to be paid each year for accumulated compensatory leave.
Upon receipt of information from human resources, the manager:
- reviews the relevant reports to determine if sufficient funds remain in their budget
- asks employees to take some or all of the days in excess
Once a decision has been made to cash out the leave, the section 34 manager is responsible for approving the cash-out. The section 34 manager:
- approves the cash-out
- sends the leave cash-out request to the trusted source for authentication
- forwards the request (individual or bulk) for processing, under cover of a completed pay action request, to the Pay Centre Mail Facility by encrypted email, fax or mail
Human resources responsibilities
Human resources is responsible for advising managers and employees of the maximum carry-over balance that will be cashed out. This should be done in advance (3 months is recommended) of the close of an accounting period of a fiscal year.
Finance is responsible for providing section 33 authorization of the transaction in Phoenix.
If there are questions or concerns about a transaction requiring section 33 authorization, finance will contact the Pay Centre.
Trusted source responsibilities
Upon receipt of the leave cash-out request, the trusted source authenticates the signatures to ensure compliance with the departmental delegation of authorities instrument prior to sending to the Pay Centre.
Pay Centre responsibilities
The Pay Centre:
- checks the trusted source list
- validates the leave balance against the Human Resources Management System data
- enters the cash out transaction using Absence Management
- processes the leave cash-out transaction in Phoenix
- updates the leave balance in the Human Resources Management System
- Date modified: