Getting married or reaching common-law status

From Public Services and Procurement Canada

If your marital status has changed to married or common-law, see the following sections to extend or update your pension, benefits coverage and pay information.

Disclaimer: Changes in your work or life situation

Extending your public service pension and benefits

If you get married, you can immediately apply to extend your public service pension benefits and group insurance coverage to include your spouse.

If you live with a person in a conjugal relationship for a continuous period of 1 year, you are legally considered to be in a common-law relationship and can apply to extend your public service pension benefits and group insurance coverage to include your common-law partner.

Extending and updating your health and dental insurance benefits

As a Public Service Health Care Plan and Public Service Dental Care Plan member, you are responsible for:

Updating your positive enrolment information

If you have registered for an online account with Sun Life, you can update your positive enrolment information online through the company’s member services website. You can also submit a change form by mail.

For more information on positive enrolment, see the following:

Ensuring you have adequate coverage

You can change your level of coverage to satisfy your insurance needs. For example, you can switch from single-level to family-level coverage to extend your coverage to your spouse or common-law partner.

Use Phoenix self-service to change your coverage. If you cannot access Phoenix self-service, complete the following forms and submit them to the Pay Centre:

Notifying Great-West Life about dental plan changes

As a Public Service Dental Care Plan (PSDCP) member, you need to notify Great-West Life in writing that your marital status has changed:

Other Great-West Life changes

To report a name change, request it when you submit your next claim form to the plan administrator.

Note: It make take some time before the system reflects your name change.

To print a replacement identity card, complete the following steps:

Great-West Life claims offices

Send all changes and claims to the appropriate mailing address:

Other Canadian residents:
Great-West Life Assurance Company
Health and Dental Claims Centre
PO Box 6025 Station Main
Winnipeg MB R3C 3C7

Quebec residents, other than the National Capital Region:
Great-West Life Assurance Company
Montreal benefit payments
Place Bonaventure
Suite 5800-800 de la Gauchetière Street West
Montreal QC H5A 1B9

Employees residing outside Canada:
Great-West Life health and dental benefits
Foreign benefits payments
PO Box 6000
Winnipeg MB R3C 3A5

To reach the claims office by phone:

Toll-free number: 1-855-415-4414 (service in English and French)
TTY, for the deaf or hard of hearing: 1-800-990-6654 or Winnipeg (204) 946-7281

Updating your personal information in the pay system

You are responsible for updating the following PeopleSoft profile items online:

If your department does not provide online self-service through the Human Resources Management System, you must advise human resources in writing of any changes.
If you move to another province, you must send a written request to the Pay Centre to ensure your income tax deductions are accurate. Your request must include the following:

Note: If your marital status or name changes, you should also update the following:

Updating your direct deposit information

If your new marital status affects your banking information (such as a new account or name), you must change your direct deposit information using Phoenix self-service.

If you do not have access to Phoenix, send the following forms to the Pay Centre:

Related information

Date modified: