Language selection


Leaving the public service

From: Public Services and Procurement Canada

This page provides information on the steps you need to complete when retiring or resigning from the public service. Completing these steps will help ensure:

Disclaimer: Changes in your work or life situation

On this page

If you are retiring: important pre-steps

If you are retiring, you must complete the following steps at least 3 months before you leave.

Step 1

Choose your retirement date.

Step 2

If applicable, confirm that you are retiring due to a disability. Request additional guidance from your manager, departmental human resources or your disability advisor if one is available to you.

Note 1

Health Canada is responsible for approving retirement due to a disability. The Pay Centre requires a copy of Health Canada’s decision.

Step 3

Contact the Pension Centre to discuss any pension options available to you and to request the required forms. For more information about your pension options, see the following:

If you are retiring or resigning

If you are resigning, complete the following steps as soon as possible. If you are retiring, complete the important retirement pre-steps above in addition to the following steps as soon as possible:

If you are retiring or resigning Step 1

Submit your letter of resignation to your manager for approval. Your manager will give you a signed acceptance letter or other letter for departure and will send this information and, if applicable, a copy of Health Canada’s disability decision, to your internal human resources team. Your department’s trusted source authenticates these documents and sends copies to the Pay Centre as soon as possible under cover of a pay action request form.

If you are retiring or resigning Step 2

Send a copy of your accepted resignation letter to the Pension Centre. For more information, see the Pension Centre page for Preparing for retirement.

If you are retiring or resigning Step 3

Submit all leave requests to your manager for approval before your departure. It is important that the Pay Centre has the most current information available about your leave balances.

Note 2

It is important to understand that one full year of leave credits are advanced to you at the beginning of the fiscal year, so if you retire before the end of fiscal and you have taken more leave than you actually earned, the Pay Centre must recover the difference from you when you retire.

For example:

  • you are an AS-04 with 25 years of service earning 5 weeks (187.5 hours) of vacation
  • these 5 weeks are advanced to you in PeopleSoft at the beginning of the fiscal year (April 1, 2018)
  • you take 4 weeks of vacation in May, and decide to start planning your retirement shortly after
  • you retire on September 21, 2018, but your vacation in May used up 4 weeks, which equals 150 hours, and you only earned 6 months of leave credits (April to September) for the fiscal year, which equals 93.75 hours
  • 150 - 93.75 = 56.25 hours that you must pay back when you retire

If you are retiring or resigning Step 4

Complete your departmental departure form, if applicable.

Note 3

The Pay Centre does not require a copy of this form.

If you are retiring or resigning Step 5

Verify that your contact information is up to date in the Human Resources Management System. If your contact information changes after your departure, advise your former employer’s human resources team of your new address.

If you are retiring or resigning Step 6

If you need to repay any amount owed, such as a travel advance, contact your employer’s finance team. Any debts to the Crown must be paid in full before the Pay Centre can finalize and close your pay account. If possible, repay any amounts you may owe before your departure.

If you are retiring or resigning Step 7

Select your preferred payment options. The Pay Centre sends you a letter detailing any funds owed to you, such as remaining salary, severance pay, or outstanding leave balances. You will also be provided a form to select your option for your severance pay which could be transferred to an RRSP if certain conditions are met. Return this form to the Pay Centre under cover of a pay action request. No trusted source authentication is required.

Note 4

You should receive your last regular pay within 25 days, as per the Pay Centre’s service standards, however it may take longer to issue any additional funds owed to you.

Record of employment for Employment insurance benefits

If you are opening a claim for employment insurance benefits after leaving the public service, a record of employment is required to confirm your eligibility and level of benefits.

The Pay Centre issues a web-based record of employment within 5 calendar days of the end of your last pay period. This record of employment is then retained by Service Canada. Contact the Client Contact Centre if there is any delay.

Date modified: