Other types of leave without pay

Information: Life events disclaimer

The following material is intended to provide you with information about some of the common types of change in employment situations and the effects it will have on your employment.

What other types of leave without pay are provided for in the Treasury Board directive on special working arrangements?

Some other types of leave without pay found in the Treasury Board directive on special working arrangements are as follows:

  • to accept employment in the office of a minister, a minister of State, a secretary of State or a member of Parliament
  • to seek nomination as or be a candidate in a federal, provincial, territorial or municipal election as stipulated under Part 7 of the Public Service Employment Act
  • to serve in the Canadian Forces Reserve

Additional information and criteria for accessing these types of leave without pay can be found in Appendix A of the Directive on Leave and Special Working Arrangements.

How are my other types of leave without pay recorded?

The Pay Centre does not have access to your departmental leave system. Therefore, it is your responsibility for requesting and receiving authorization for any absences from the office through your departmental leave system.

In the event your department does not have a departmental leave system, your authorized leave request form will be forwarded to the Pay Centre for recording your leave usage.

How will the Pay Centre be notified that I will be proceeding on leave without pay?

Once your leave is approved, your manager will notify your departmental human resources section, who will in turn provide the necessary information to the Pay Centre under cover of a pay action request form. The Pay Centre will take the appropriate action to temporarily stop your salary and provide you with detailed information about the effects of your leave without pay on your pay and any related benefits or insurances.

Date modified: