Annual Pensioner’s Statement: January 2022—Public Service Pension Plan

Your Annual Pensioner’s Statement contains details about your monthly pension and provides you with an overview of your pension and benefits. Below, you will find the articles included in the statement.

On this page

Annual indexation

The rate of the annual indexation for 2022 is 2.4%.

In most cases, if you retired before 2021, the full rate will be applied to your pension. If you retired during 2021, you will receive a prorated portion of the rate based on the number of full calendar months remaining in that year. For example, if you retired in November 2021, your indexation amount would be 1/12 of the full increase (December only), starting January 2022. This increase also applies to the survivor pension. For more information on how the indexing is applied, visit Pension and benefits.

2021 Tax statements

Your year end tax statements will be available on epost by the end of February 2022. If you are not registered on epost, your mailed paper copy should arrive by March 15, 2022. Did you know that you can view your year end tax statements in My Account on Canada Revenue Agency’s (CRA) secure portal at Once you have registered, you’ll have access to limited tax information. After you receive and enter your CRA security code, you’ll have access to all services available in My Account, including viewing your tax information slips. This is a quick, convenient, and secure way to view your tax statements.

Do you have to pay income tax every year when you file your tax return?

If so, you may be able to reduce your net tax owing by increasing the amount of tax deducted from your monthly pension. To do so, call the Pension Centre or send them a completed Form TD1—Personal Tax Credits Return. Consult the Canada Revenue Agency website or call 1‑800‑959‑8281 for more information.

Coordination of benefits with the Canada Pension Plan and Quebec Pension Plan

When you retire from the federal public service, you become entitled to a lifetime pension. If you retire before age 65, you also receive a temporary bridge benefit payable until age 65. However, if you become entitled to Canada Pension Plan (CPP) or Quebec Pension Plan (QPP) disability benefits prior to age 65, the bridge benefit ceases immediately. Note that if you are already age 65, or are already entitled to CPP or QPP disability benefits when you retire, the bridge benefit is not paid.

You must inform the Government of Canada Pension Centre immediately when you become entitled to a disability benefit under the CPP or QPP. Failure to do so could result in an overpayment of your pension, which must be repaid.

Marriage after retirement

If you married after your retirement, will your new spouse be entitled to a survivor benefit upon your death?

If you marry or enter into a common law relationship after retirement, your spouse will not receive a survivor pension. That is unless it can be proven you began a common law relationship before you retired and this continued until the date you married or, if you did not marry, then until your passing. Otherwise, you may elect to provide your spouse with a benefit by taking a reduction in your own pension. This option must be made within one year of marriage or one year from your pension start date, whichever is later. For more information on survivor benefits, visit Pension and benefits.

Enrol now for direct deposit

With direct deposit, your payment is deposited into your bank account, on time, every month!

Individuals living in Canada: To enrol, call the Government of Canada Pension Centre or send them a written request with a void cheque.

Individuals living abroad: To enrol, send a written request to the Pension Centre with a void cheque or a document with the IBAN/NUBAN/CLABE number (or bank sort code) and your bank account number. For more information, visit the list of Participating countries.

Important reminders

Contact information

Call Monday to Friday

Have your pension number ready

8 am to 4 pm (your local time)
Outside Canada and the United States:
506‑533‑5800 (collect calls accepted)
8 am to 5 pm (Atlantic time)
Telephone Teletype (TTY):
506‑533‑5990 (collect calls accepted)
8 am to 5 pm (Atlantic time)

Visit Pension and benefits

Government of Canada Pension Centre
Mail Facility
PO Box 8000
Matane QC  G4W 4T6

To allow us to access your pension file, please provide your:

Date modified: