Annual Pensioner’s Statement: January 2023—Public Service Pension Plan

The Annual Pensioner’s Statement has details about your monthly pension and provides you with an overview of your pension and benefits. Below, you will find the articles included in the statement.

On this page

Annual indexation

The rate of the annual indexation for 2023 is 6.3%.

In most cases, if you retired before 2022, the full indexation rate will be applied to your pension. If you retired during 2022, you'll receive a prorated portion of the rate based on the number of full calendar months remaining in 2022. For example, if you retired in November 2022, your indexation rate would be 1/12 of the full year (December only), starting in January 2023. The indexation rate also applies to the survivor pension. For more information on how the indexing is applied, visit Pension and benefits.

Important information about your pension entitlements!

Your public service pension is made up of two parts: a lifetime pension and a bridge benefit. While the lifetime portion is payable for your lifetime, the bridge benefit is temporary. Your entitlement to the bridge benefit ends at age 65 or earlier if you become entitled to disability benefits under the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) or Quebec Pension Plan (QPP).

You must inform the Pension Centre immediately if you become entitled to a disability benefit under the CPP or QPP. Failure to do so could result in an overpayment of your pension, which you will be required to repay.

2022 Tax statements

You should receive a paper copy of your year-end tax statements by March 15, 2023. Did you know that you can view your year-end tax statements in My Account on Canada Revenue Agency’s (CRA) secure portal at Once you have registered, you’ll have access to limited tax information. After you receive and enter your CRA security code, you’ll have access to all services available in My Account, including viewing your year-end tax statements.

Do you have to pay income tax every year when you file your tax return?

If you have to pay income tax every year when you file your tax return, you may be able to reduce the net tax you owe by increasing the amount of tax deducted from your monthly pension. To do so, call the Pension Centre or send them a completed Form TD1—Personal Tax Credits Return. Consult the Canada Revenue Agency website or call 1‑800‑959‑8281 for more information.

Marriage after retirement

If you marry after you retire, your spouse won’t receive a survivor pension. That is unless it can be proven you began a common law relationship before you retired and this continued until the date you married. Otherwise, you may elect to provide your spouse with a benefit by taking a reduction in your own pension. This option must be made within 1 year of marriage or 1 year from your pension start date, whichever is later. For more information on survivor benefits, visit Pension and benefits.

Important reminders

Contact information

Call Monday to Friday

Have your pension number ready

Outside Canada and the United States:
506‑533‑5800 (collect calls accepted)
Telephone Teletype (TTY):
506‑533‑5990 (collect calls accepted)

Visit Pension and benefits or call for our hours of operation

Government of Canada Pension Centre
Mail Facility
PO Box 8000
Matane QC  G4W 4T6

To allow us to access your pension file, please provide your:

Date modified: