Pension benefits division

If my marriage or common-law relationship breaks down, how will this affect my pension?

To find the answer to this question watch the video below. Here you will find information on how the pension benefit can be divided in cases of divorce or separation and what documentation is needed to start the process. Click on the links below for additional information on this topic.

Transcript of the Pension benefits division

Whether you are employed or retired, married or in a common-law relationship, if there is a divorce or a separation, it is possible to have your pension benefits divided.

The cohabitation period is generally the only period subject to division. For example; if you have 30 years of pensionable service and were only living together for 10 years, only the 10 years would be eligible for division.

To apply for a division, a valid court order or written agreement signed by you and your partner that provides for the division of your pension benefits must be presented.

The division amount is paid in a lump sum and must be transferred into the locked-in registered retirement vehicle of your former partner.

When a division payment is made, your pension will be reduced to reflect the division of pension benefits.

If you re-marry or enter into another common-law relationship before you retire, your current partner’s survivor pension would not be reduced as a result of a previous division of your pension benefits.

To obtain an estimate for a division of your pension benefits, please contact the Government of Canada Pension Centre.

For more information, you may visit Your public service pension and benefits web portal at Pension and benefits or consult the Division of Pension Benefits Package, also found on the web portal.

End of clip

View the Pension benefits division video.

Useful links

Date modified: