Client service competency
Client service competency: levels
Public Works and Government Services Canada (PWGSC) employees are committed to delivering high-quality services and programs that meet the needs of federal organizations and Canadians, and to building a strong client service culture.
They understand their own roles and responsibilities and those of others involved in providing services, and take ownership of client service issues. They maintain collaborative relationships with clients through effective and timely communication. They develop the knowledge and skills required to provide effective services and contribute to the achievement of service standards. They continually strive to improve service and increase efficiency and client satisfaction. They follow government policies, regulations and procedures in order to ensure sound stewardship on behalf of Canadians.
Level 1: Delivers high-quality client service
Behaviours required to effectively respond to diverse client needs and maintain positive relationships with clients.
- Listens actively to clients, demonstrates an understanding of diverse client needs and fosters effective two-way communication.
- Communicates with clients in a timely manner to provide necessary information and services and to identify potential issues.
- Gathers information and consults appropriate parties, when needed, to follow up on client requests.
- Resolves client service issues, including urgent ones, in a timely manner.
- Follows applicable government policies, regulations and procedures impacting client service.
- Demonstrates an understanding of own roles and responsibilities, and those of other parties involved in providing client services.
- Prioritizes own work to meet client needs within agreed and sometimes tight timelines.
Level 2: Ensures high-quality client service
Behaviours required to handle complex and sensitive service issues and improve service execution, delivery and outcomes.
- Mobilizes staff and resources to meet strategic goals and organizational objectives linked to client service.
- Plans work and allocates project resources efficiently to support client service strategies.
- Shows flexibility in negotiating mutually beneficial solutions with clients while complying with relevant policies, regulations and procedures.
- Adapts activities as required to provide effective services and ensures that the changes are well understood by clients.
- Seeks feedback from clients to improve the quality and efficiency of services.
- Ensures that service standards and performance measurement systems are aligned with client service strategies.
- Works collaboratively with other sectors to provide integrated services to clients.
Level 3: Fosters high-quality client service
Behaviours required to develop effective client service strategies and partnerships to sustain client service excellence and sound stewardship in the long term.
- Leads others in developing a strong client service culture that reflects accountability and transparency at all levels of the organization.
- Gives guidance and constructive feedback to those involved in delivering service and supports learning opportunities to improve client service skills.
- Creates opportunities to communicate the added value of PWGSC and the strengths of its services.
- Develops strategies and action plans that reflect an in-depth understanding and assessment of client service issues and associated risks.
- Recommends sound strategic directions and new service offerings to meet and anticipate future client service needs.
- Seeks buy-in from senior management and appropriate parties in order to support service initiatives.
- Date modified: