Pension transfer in—Roles and responsibilities
Processing your pension transfer agreement in request
The process of transferring your pension from your former employer's pension plan to the public service pension plan is a team effort. The team consists of you, the Government of Canada Pension Centre, your current Public Service employer, your compensation advisor, your former pension plan administrator and the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
The length of time required to process your request will vary according to your circumstances and the time associated with the receipt of information required to process your request. This document provides you with an overview of the steps involved during this process as well as the estimated time required.
- You are interested in receiving pension transfer agreement in information
- You are interested in receiving pension transfer agreement in estimate
- You are interested in transferring your pension service under the terms of a pension transfer agreement
- You are interested in purchasing the balance of service not purchased by the pension transfer agreement
- Process overview timelines
All team members play a critical role in ensuring the transfer process moves along as required under the terms of the applicable pension transfer agreement (PTA). The transfer process tends to be sequential in nature and can be somewhat complicated and lengthy. Therefore, any delays experienced throughout this process may slow down the entire transfer and could impact your final costs.
Some possible reasons your request may be delayed
- Delays in getting information from your former plan administrator;
- Delays in getting information or documentation you must provide;
- Delays in getting information from the Canada Revenue Agency.
You may inquire as to the progress of your transfer at any time by contacting the Contact the Pension Centre.
- Date modified: