Phase 2 implementation of changes to the Contract Security Program: Additional information
Communiqué: March 17, 2022
On May 2, 2022, Public Services and Procurement Canada’s Contract Security Program (CSP) will begin implementing phase 2 of the changes to improve its security screening process.
Phase 2 introduces a new screening process for organizations participating in government solicitations with security requirements posted on or after May 2, 2022.
The new process will reduce timelines associated with security screenings and with the delivery of goods and services. They will also remove potential barriers for suppliers looking to bid on federal solicitations with security requirements, support the diversification of existing supply chains, and make Canadian industry more competitive on foreign markets.
Detailed information on what is changing can be found in phase 2 of changes to the security screening process which is organized into topics to allow you to find relevant information more easily.
To understand and prepare for the changes, please focus your attention on the following sections in phase 2 of changes to the security screening process:
- bidding on solicitations with security requirements—what you will need to do
- federal procurement process
- organization security screening process
- physical and information technology security inspection process
- provisional security clearance – when and how to obtain one
- security screening timelines – expected improvements
- new flexible subcontracting options – when and how to leverage them
- improvements to the subcontracting process for contractors
- obligations to leverage subcontracting options
- leveraging both subcontracting options for the same subcontractor
- when organizations should leverage the first subcontracting option
- how to leverage the first subcontracting option
- when organizations should leverage the second subcontracting option
- requirements to request subcontract security clauses from the Contract Security Program when leveraging the second subcontracting option
- how to leverage the second subcontracting option
Additional information: Products and tools
- The CSP application for registration (AFR) form that your organization must:
- complete and submit with your bid responses to solicitations with security requirements posted on or after May 2, 2022
- New guidance to assist your organization with the proper and timely completion of the AFR form
In addition to updating the Contract Security Manual, the CSP will update the security requirements for contracting with the Government of Canada and make the AFR form and guidance available via the contract security forms. Please contact the Contract Security Program's client service centre to obtain a copy of the form and guidance.
Other tools are also under development to support your organization, such as pre-recorded webinars on completing organization security screening forms. Links to access these pre-recorded webinars will be provided in April 2022.
The CSP is anticipating a high volume of inquiries related to phase 2 of this initiative. To allow us to serve you better, please make sure to read the phase 2 of changes to the security screening process in full before contacting the CSP with inquiries.
If your questions have not been addressed after reading about the changes, you may contact the Contract Security Program's client service centre for assistance.
- Date modified: