As an active participant in the National Standards System of Canada, the Canadian General Standards Board (CGSB) offers a wide range of standards development services, including development of National Standards of Canada (NSC), CGSB standards, and Government of Canada (GC) Standards, and support to the development of International (ISO) Standards.
Our standards development services are used to:
- support stakeholders' economic, regulatory, health, safety and environmental interests;
- facilitate the purchase of goods and services,
- harmonize diverse standards;
- provide a sound quality base for products and services;
- help Canadians compete internationally; and
- support the CGSB and other conformity assessment programs.
The CGSB is accredited by the Standards Council of Canada as a Standards Development Organization. This formal recognition is contingent upon CGSB providing a consensus process.
Standards are developed and maintained by committees of volunteers working according to the CGSB process. These volunteers are experts in their field and represent a balance of interested parties, and public and private sector stakeholders.
The Canadian General Standards Board (CGSB) currently has approximately 350 standards in English and in French.
- Building and construction
- Business (office) equipment, supplies and furniture
- Electronic records as documentary evidence
- Food & Organic Agriculture
- Government of Canada Forms
- Non-destructive testing
- Paper & paper products
- Personnel qualifications & competencies
- Protective clothing
- Transportation fuels
- Transportation of dangerous goods
Notification of Standardization Activities
Are you looking for timely notification of new, current and completed standards development activities, and reporting on status changes?
The CGSB Notification of Standardization Activities allows interested persons or organizations an opportunity for public review and to provide comments on standards under development.
The CGSB also publishes a World Trade Organization (WTO) Work Program identifying standards in preparation, their development stage, and standards published since the previous report. This Work Program is available at Technical Work Program Report (WTO).
View the description of our published standards through the Catalogue at the Obtain standards.
Complaints about CGSB’s Standards Development Process
CGSB, Standards Division is committed to continuous improvement and customer satisfaction. Our accredited standards development process adheres to a consistent level of quality in service delivery and performance, with a focus on customer satisfaction.
In accordance with our accreditation, any party may make a substantive (technical) or procedural complaint or a procedural appeal. Complaints and appeals must be submitted in writing. CGSB ensures that all complaints are addressed in a timely and effective manner.
- Standards Development Process at Canadian General Standards Board
- Standards Policy and Procedures Manual
- Canadian General Standards Board Catalogue
- Notification of Standardization Activities
- Standards Committees
- Technical Work Program Report
- Withdrawn Standards
- Obtain Standards
- Date modified: