Warning This Web page has been archived on the Web.

Archived Content

Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.


February 13, 1996

SUBJECT: Benefit Plans--Social Insurance Number Replacement Project


1.1. The purpose of this directive is to provide you with instructions regarding accessing an employee's Individual Agency Number (IAN) and to clarify questions regarding the issuance of new identity cards and certificate numbers under the Public Service Dental Care Plan (DCP).


2.1. For background information regarding the Benefit Plans and the Social Insurance Number(SIN) Replacement Project please refer to Compensation Directives 1995-026, 1995-035, 1995-036 and 1995-038 (or Special Advices to Crown Corporations) dated June 28, September 11, 13 and 29, 1995, respectively.

2.2. Some self-paid employers do not have access to the Central Index System and consequently cannot retrieve their employee's IAN's. As a result, another procedure is required to assist these employers.


3.1. Accessing the IAN

Self-paid employers which do not have access to the Central Index System and which require an employee's IAN can contact the Insurance Section of the Superannuation Directorate by fax at 506-533-5518 for assistance. The employee's Personal Record Identifier(PRI) number and the plan for which the IAN is required should be provided on the FAX. The Superannuation Directorate will provide IAN's for the following Public Service benefit/insurance plans:

  • Disability Insurance (DI) Plan;
  • Public Service Management Insurance Plan (PSMIP);
  • Long-term Disability (LTD) Insurance Plan;
  • Public Service Dental Care Plan (DCP);
  • Public Service Health Care Plan (PSHCP);

3.2. For a list of the remittance agency alpha codes, please refer to Compensation Directive 1995-038 (or special Advice to Crown Corporations) dated September 29,1995.

3.3. Public Service Dental Care Plan (DCP)

New DCP identity cards were issued for a number of Struck-off-strength (SOS) (Terminate or retire) employees. Given the amount of effort required on the part of personnel offices to place these cards on the files of terminated employees, an alternate solution is possible. Client departments and agencies can destroy these cards if they will access the dental Identification (ID) number (on the Contributor System) and type up a blank identity card for an employee upon ReTOS.

3.4. Blank DCP identity cards (form Public Works and Government Services Canada (PWGSC) 2407-7) can be ordered quoting catalogue number 7540-21-903-1655. Before the new buff-coloured cards will be made available, existing stock of the blue cards must be exhausted.

3.5. DCP identity cards were to have been issued for all the Temporarily Struck Off Strength (TSOS) population as of August 18,1995, however, some problems were experienced in this regard. Replacement identity cards should be issued to employees on leave without pay when this comes to the attention of the personnel office, eg. a claim is denied in error or the employee is making a DCP contribution remittance. Identity cards should only be provided to employees on leave without pay whose coverage is in good standing, i.e. employer-paid coverage continues or the necessary DCP contributions have been remitted. Otherwise, identity cards should be provided only upon an employee's return to duty.

3.6. In order to provide a replacement identity card to an employee on leave without pay, the personnel office can access the dental ID number on the Contributor System and type up a blank identity card. (Paragraph 3.1 refers.)

3.7. In the meantime, personnel offices are reminded that employees whose coverage continues during Leave Without Pay(LWOP) can continue to reference their old DCP number. Great-West Life will cross reference the employee's old certificate number to the new ID number in order to process their claim.


4.1. Any request for information regarding the foregoing should be addressed to your PWGSC Client Services Centre as per Compensation Directive 1994-039 dated October 6, 1994.

Original Signed by
J. A. Boudreau

P. Charko
Director General
Compensation Sector
Government Operational Service

Reference: CJA 9020-39